Cupcakes with Extra Icing January 10, 2012Posted by Sindy in Recipes.
Tags: cupcake, cupcakes, dessert, food, gift ideas, gifts, icing, recipe
add a comment
I’m not the biggest cupcake fan, but I really liked this idea.
This morning on the news (NPR to be precise) they mentioned a guy at an airport with a cupcake in a jar. I thought the idea was to put the cupcake into a tall jar and then fill the rest of the jar with icing. That way you’d get like 3 times more icing than even a mile-high frosted cupcake. (I personally would prefer whipped cream instead of icing though.) But then I Googled it, and I found something way more fun:
A new trend called Cupcake in a Jar!
In case you can’t tell, you’re basically making a two-layer cake out of cupcakes and using a jar so it stays all together. And the possibilities sound fun to me! Can you imagine it with cream cheese, or raspberry jam, or a cupcake-sized lush cake?
What are some of your ideas? What other things can we stack in a jar for a tasty, individual-sized treat?
Weekend Project(s) – Homemade Christmas Gifts November 20, 2009Posted by Sindy in Weekend Project(s).
Tags: castle, Christmas, costume, crochet, DIY, furniture, gifts, LEDs, modular furniture, Sewing, Weekend Project(s), wood projects
add a comment
Okay, so mid-November may still be a bit early to be thinking about Christmas gifts, but it’s always good to get plenty of a head start when your doing homemade gifts, so here are some gift ideas to get you started:
- Inlaid Treasure Box with Hidden Compartment – This is pretty nice, and I love the “hidden compartment” idea. I wonder where it is?
- An Indoor Play Castle! – All right! A Castle! (And it’s indoors too). Now the question is whether to make it for the kids, or for me.
- Homemade Cider Press – Oh, my, goodness! My Mom has been longing for a cider press for ages. She’d absolutely love this!!! (“Favorite Daughter” status here I come )
- Tennis Ball Chair – This is amazingly comfortable. It’s like getting a massage every time you sit down.
- Adjustable Modular Furniture – This would be a great gift for someone in an apartment. They can easily adjust it to be a chair, or a table, or even storage shelves.
- Stupid Creature – Yes, that’s the official name of the things. It’s like one of those funky stuffed creatures.
- Cargo Scarf – I could use something like this when neither my pants nor my coat has a pocket. It even hase a strap for your key. Plus it’s really easy to make for a last minute gift.
- Crocheted Baby Penguin – This little guy is super cute! >.< Almost any little girl would love it!
- Pajama Pants! – I know dozens of people who have the Christmas tradition of giving pajama pants. And I love the custom part of making your own anything – Instead of searching everywhere for pajamas pants with a pattern they’ll enjoy, just make them a pair with a pattern they’ll absolutely love.
- Crocheted Mustache & Beard Hat – Hehe. This one is funny and would make a fun gift for almost anyone. I think I’ll make one for myself. Maybe I’ll adapt it too. I’ve always wanted one of those cool long Chinese mustaches.
Other DIY Projects:
- Sun Jar – Who says you can’t capture sunshine? This cute little jar is basically a solar panel and a light inside a jar. Simple, but cute and fun.
- Etched Glasses – This is a really easy diy project for some really elegant gifts for the more refined people on your list.
- Cheap & Easy Digital Picture Frame – Those popular digital picture frames are pretty cool, but man can they be expensive! This one is much cheaper (and can be even cheaper than how they made it), and your recipient thinks you spent a fortune on them.
- LED Throwies!!! – Okay, I just had to throw these in here partly because I would absolutely love to get these for Christmas! This would make a great gift for a teen (talk about an Uber Sweet gift!).